Over the last 10 years Microsoft Lync has been well-known in the realm of online communications, making it easier for businesses to connect to discuss, collaborate and share. Last week, Microsoft announced that it’s Lync unified platform is being rebranded….queue Skype for Business in 2015.
Gurdeep Pall, Skype’s Corporate Vice President said that Skype for Business “will bring together with familiar experience of Skype with the security, compliance, and control that you’ve come to expect from Lync.”
Skype for Business will essentially be Skype with Lync’s enterprise security. compliance, and control features.
What changes can we expect?
Skype for Business will take advantage of the strengths of Skype and Lync. The user interface has been redesigned to adopt the Skype user experience with the icons for calling, adding video and ending a call. It will improve on the existing capabilities of Lync, including content sharing and telephony as follows:
- Transferring a call will now take only one touch instead of three
- Video calling will be added for the Skype integration, so you can make a video call for Skype for Business
- Skype user directory will make it possible to call any Skype user on any device
- The ‘call monitor screen’ from Skype, users can keep an active call visible in a small window even when users are focusing on another application
What are the advantages?
- Skype is already a well-known brand with 300 million users worldwide. Microsoft will be able to leverage this existing customer base
- Existing Lync Server customers will be able to take advantage of these capabilities by simply updating to Microsoft Lync 2013. No new hardware is required. For Office 365 customers, Microsoft will do the required updates
What is the ‘Lync’ between Microsoft and Verba?
Verba is a Gold Microsoft Partner and have a long established relationship with the Microsoft. The Verba Recording System can record Microsoft Lync voice calls, video calls and instant messaging using various methods and certainly welcomes Skype for Business in 2015.
If you would like further information, please contact one of our experts